NAMI Family-to-Family Course
NAMI Rhode Island (the local chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness) will offer a Family-to-Family course beginning Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 6:30 PM. This is a free and virtual 8-session educational program for family, significant others and friends of people with mental health conditions. It is a designated evidenced-based program. Research shows that the program significantly improves the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to a person with a mental health condition.
NAMI Family-to-Family is taught by trained family members who have personal family experience and includes presentations, discussions and interactive exercises. NAMI Family-to-Family not only provides information and strategies for taking care of the person you love, but you'll also find out that you're not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope.
The group setting of NAMI Family-to-Family provides mutual support. You will experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. Sharing your own experiences often helps you and others in your class. In the program, you'll learn about:
- How to solve problems and communicate effectively
- Taking care of yourself and managing your stress
- Supporting your loved one with compassion
- Finding and using local supports and services
- Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and how they affect the brain
- How to handle a crisis
- Current treatments and therapies
- The impact of mental health conditions on the entire family